[Freeipa-users] How to handle users with multiple homedirs on different machines?

swartz netvent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 23:06:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:29 AM, Lukas Slebodnik <lslebodn at redhat.com>
wrote:

> However sssd is available just on linux (or FreeBSD)
> I'm not sure which clients do you use on Solaris or other

Solaris would be configured via LDAP. RedHat appears to have a pretty good
guide for doing this.
Same goes for any other systems lacking sssd client or so I hope.

> >As an example, I have user Bob.
> >On a Linux box Bob has homedir at /home/b/bob
>                                          ^
>                                 Unfortunatelly, there's no way how to say
>                                 sssd to use just first letter from name.

Hmmm. Is time for a feature request? Should this be directed to SSSD or
FreeIPA group?
override_homedir appears to have plenty of substitution options. This
wouldn't be a major change request.
For more flexibility, I think it would be nice to refer to an output of a
script for determining homedir overrides.

> >On a Solaris this is likely /export/home/bob
> >While on some other odd system it could be /mnt/nas/users/bob
> Different "prefix" for homedir "/export/home", "/home", "/mnt/nas/users"
> could be addresed with the option homedir_substring in sssd conf.
> https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1853

So you could store "%H" in ldap attribute,
> but clients need to understand such value.
> (sssd >= 1.11.6). I'm not sure about other clients.

As there is no sssd client for Solaris, I think I may have found a
workaround via automounter as suggested by Coy Hile.
But that only solves the Solaris specific homdir paths. In any case, I'm
further today than I was yesterday. Thank you.