[Freeipa-users] migrating 3.0 -> 4.1: passwords not migrated?

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Wed Jun 10 14:11:45 UTC 2015

Hi Martin and Tamas

My source was a different one, i found a hint in a ipa python file!

Luckily I documented what we did in our internal wiki. I have found the
following section:

Migration from FreeIPA 3.0.0 to FreeIPA 4.1.0

> kinit admin

> ipa config-mod --enable-migration=TRUE

> ipa-compat-manage disable

> ipactl restart

The migration function uses the script

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ipalib/plugins/migration.py. This contains

some useful comments, including the parameters for an IPA to IPA migration!

> ipa migrate-ds --group-overwrite-gid

--user-container='cn=users,cn=accounts'

--group-container='cn=groups,cn=accounts' ldap://<url of old FreeIPA

server>:389

> ipa-compat-manage enable

> ipactl restart

This copies all the users, and the groups - other than admin. This means

that users that were members of the admins group on the old instance will

not be added to admins group on the new instance. They must be readded,

either via the Web UI, or CLI:

> su - admin,

> ipa group-add-member admins --users=bilbo

Note that at the time we makng things up as we went along, so very possibly
this was not the best way 8-) but it worked for us.

Chris