[Freeipa-users] migrating 3.0 -> 4.1: passwords not migrated?

Tamas Papp tompos at martos.bme.hu
Thu Jun 11 12:00:37 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 03:35 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 06/10/2015 03:32 PM, Christopher Lamb wrote:
>> Hi Tamas
>>
>> I think the general advice is to replicate rather than to migrate. I am
>> sure Martin K will jump in on this.
> Yes :-)
>
>> However some weeks ago, when doing a very similar move to yours, we chose
>> to migrate (we were misled by some very old FreeIPA docus that have since
>> been archived).
>>
>> In our case passwords were successfully migrated, so the users were able to
>> use the same user / password combo as before.
>>

>> I will see if I can dig out the migrate command we used at the time.
> Did you use the migration command advised in
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Migration#Migrating_from_other_FreeIPA_to_FreeIPA
> ?

hi Martin,

https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Migration#Upgrading_to_new_FreeIPA_release

I would be satisfied with this procedure.

However, earlier you (actually Dmitri) posted a different one:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/migrating-ipa-proc.html

Which is the right one?
In my opinion the second one is too complicated, I would rather choose
'ipa migrate-ds' (we don't have machine accounts).

Thanks,
tamas