[Freeipa-users] Is something.local hostname possible

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 07:47:26 UTC 2015

On 12.6.2015 17:40, James Benson wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to duplicate freeIPA on a local host but I keep on getting errors,
> primarily a RuntimeError('CA did not start in %%ss' %timeout). Has anyone
> tried this before and succeeded or have suggestions?
> Thanks

Please do not use .local, it is reserved for multicast DNS.

General rules are described in Deployment Considerations for FreeIPA:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Deployment_Recommendations#DNS

This is in line with other popular recommendations like e.g.
http://serverfault.com/questions/17255/top-level-domain-domain-suffix-for-private-network

If you need an 'internal' name and you own e.g. 'mydomain.example' then use
something like 'int.mydomain.example' and configure your DNS server to answer
for domain 'int.mydomain.example' only if clients are in the internal network.

--
Petr^2 Spacek