[Freeipa-users] question on Active Directory and FreeIPA

David Fitzgerald David.Fitzgerald at millersville.edu
Fri Jun 19 18:23:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a very basic question, but I have read the documentation and am still confused as to what to do.
Right now I am using FreeIPA 3.3.3 on a Centos 7 server, and using it to manage about 200 users and 90 Scientific Linux workstations, and everything works great.  Unfortunately I have been told that I must now use the University's Active Directory to authenticate all of my users.  I have read the documentation on FreeIPA / AD integration and am not sure if that will meet my requirements.  All my Linux users' home directories are auto mounted on login from a CentOS 7 NFS server with their bash profiles etc. run off that mount.    From what I have read it seems to me that FreeIPA / AD integration is more focused on getting Windows users to be able to log into a Linux machine with access to their Windows folders and profiles (oddjob creating a local home directory on the Linux box, etc.)  I don't want this.  All I need is to simply authenticate the user using AD (BTW their IPA usernames and AD usernames are the same other than the domain) then use the info from FreeIPA as I do now. I don't need any folders mounted from the Windows  servers.
Have I completely mis-read the documentation and I can do this by integrating FreeIPA and AD?  Is there an easy way to do this? I am not a Windows AD expert by any means.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

David Fitzgerald
Department of Earth Science