[Freeipa-users] invalid 'permission': cannot add permission "System: Read HBAC Rules" with bindtype "all" to a privilege

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Sat Jun 20 20:17:28 UTC 2015

Nathan Peters wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Rob Crittenden
> Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 3:38 PM
> To: nathan at nathanpeters.com
> Cc: freeipa-users at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] invalid 'permission': cannot add permission
> "System: Read HBAC Rules" with bindtype "all" to a privilege
>
> nathan at nathanpeters.com wrote:

>>> You can't add a rule with bindtype all because this bindtype already
>>> allows all authenticated users the rights granted by the rule, in this
>>> case read access.
>>>
>>> rob
>>>

>> That doesn't sound right.  When I login to FreeIPA web ui with a user who
>> is not part of any group, the only thing he can do is browse other users
>> and update his own password and SSH key.  He does not get the HBAC menu
>> and definitely cannot browse HBAC rules.
>
> The UI handles those permissions differently.
>
> $ kinit someuser
> $ ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI -b cn=hbac,dc=example,dc=com
>

>> Also, If I do this step backward and go directly to the RBAC ->
>> Permissions menu and choose a permission and edit it, I can add it to a
>> privilege, but if I go to the privilege and try to add the permission it
>> fails.  This makes zero sense.
>>
>> I can post screenshots if that helps.
>>

> This is a bug. There is a function not available on the command line,
> permission_add_member, which incorrectly allows this. I opened
>
> Regardless of whether it is added or not, it is a no-op because the
> whole idea of permissions is to grant access via groups and there is no
> group in this permission. It allows all authenticated users.
>
> rob
>
> What do you mean by it is a no-op?
>
> Here is what I did that worked:
>
> 1)Create privilege called "Read only privilege"
>
> 2)Go to each permission individually that has the world "Read" in it and
> add them to the "read only privilege" privilege one at a time.  There
> was about 65 of them.  This is fine because we are not apply this to
> users, only apply the permissions to the privilege.
>
> 3)Next, go back to the read-only privilege and add some group that
> contains users.
>
> 4)Login to the webui as a user that is in the group that was added to
> the privilege and now you can see all menu options just like an admin,
> but everything is read only and any attempt to make changes results in a
> message that you don't have permission to make that change.  This is
> currently working exactly as I expect it to once I set it up the long way.
>
> Result : Member can now browse the entire web ui and see everything,
> hosts, users, rbac rules, hbac rules, groups etc but in read only mode
> as expected.

I'm talking only about the issue where a permission with a bindrule of
all cannot be added to a privilege. The fact that it can be added in the
UI is a bug.

It is the data in LDAP we really care about and a permission with a
bindrule of all grants all authenticated users read access to that data,
regardless of what you might or might not see in the UI.

I'm not entirely sure how Petr does that though I always thought it was
through LDAP effective rights which in effect should grant all users
HBAC read access, so perhaps he determines it based on other things as well.

rob