[Freeipa-users] hesitate to deploy freeipa

Thomas Sailer t.sailer at alumni.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 25 18:12:22 UTC 2015

Am 25.06.2015 um 17:47 schrieb Simo Sorce:

> Yes, the whole project is complex, but not because we like complexity,
> it is complex because the problem space is complex and we are bound to
> use existing protocols, which sometimes add in complexity, and we want
> to offer useful features to admins, so they can think about managing
> stuff and not about the plumbing all the time.

Sure, the problem space is a lot more complex than say ls.

But I think there is room for improvement, by making the individual
tools somewhat more resilient to unexpected behaviour in other components.

For example, if there's any nsuniqueid group present in a users entry,
login authentication via sssd breaks with a cryptic error message. It
would be nice, IMO, if it didn't break or if it at least issued a better
error message.

Furthermore, a good graphical generic LDAP editor would make the admin's
life significantly easier, IMO. I so far haven't found one. There's gq,
which works, mostly, but crashes relatively frequently. I'm mostly using
ldapvi now, which works quite well but only after studying its manual.

Thomas