[Freeipa-users] compat settings

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sat Jun 27 01:47:58 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 02:59 AM, Rudolf Gabler wrote:
> Hi to whom it may concern,
>

> we used for many years a 2 location policy to separate email users
> from unix users in order to not using the same passwords. So we had 2
> trees in our LDAP with the same user but different passwords.

Sorry for reviving this thread a month later.

I am a bit puzzled. On one hand I hear a lot of desire of the
consolidation on the single account and making sure the password the
user has is compliant with the central policies.
On the other side I continue to come across the cases when single
account needs more than one password. And I am really confused why?
Would using OTP for example be a good enough alternative? What is the
practical reason to force user to have more than one password in the
enterprise environment?

I wonder does OTP auth with IPA native tokens work against compat tree?
It should...
So with OTP it is always different password for two accounts. Should be
good enough. No?

What am I missing?

Dmitri

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Director of Engineering for IdM portfolio
Red Hat, Inc.