[Freeipa-users] DNS forwarder "first" does not fallback to local

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 16:26:45 UTC 2015

On 29.6.2015 18:22, Matt . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Because it can happen that hostnames are used twice, but one for each network.
>
> This sounds a little bit odd, but it has something todo with hostnames
> that are needed, public names and internal names. But as both networks
> have their own DNS servers, some records are just not provisioned so
> need to be added manually to the non-managed server.

Okay, so you basically wants 'DNS views'. There is only once advice about
that: "Do not do that" :-)

I would highly recommend you to read and follow following articles:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Deployment_Recommendations#DNS
http://www.freeipa.org/page/DNS#Internal-only_domains

Sure, in already deployed network it is not easy but be assured that getting
rid of DNS views/split-brain DNS it will save you a lot of headaches in the
long term.

I'm sorry for uncomforting answers...

Petr Spacek  @  Red Hat