[Freeipa-users] keytab issue with service principal

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 19:16:44 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> I am trying to troubleshoot kerberos authentication for an oracle service
> (oracledb) and getting the following error when testing the service keytab
> on the database server (oracledbsrvr):
>
> oracle at oracledbsrvr ~]# kinit -kt /opt/oracle/admin/oracledb.keytab -S
> oracledb/oracledbsrvr.example.com
> kinit: Keytab contains no suitable keys for
> host/oracledbsrvr.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM while getting initial credentials
Remove -S option, just specify your oracledb/`hostname` principal.

With -S option your oracledb/`hostname` principal is consumed by the -S option and then default principal is what you are authenticating with.
Which means "I want to obtain credentials to oracledb/`hostname` service, not krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, but I'll be authenticating as host/`hostname` for that."

But when you are using host/`hostname`, your keytab is supposed to contain keys for this principal. kinit doesn't see them there and fails.

Why did you choose to use -S option?
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy