[Freeipa-users] Fwd: 2-Factor and services

Michael Lasevich mlasevich at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:19:52 UTC 2015

There is actually a way to achieve what you most likely want to but not
what you are asking for.

I do not think there is currently a way to force 2fa based on service or
host being authenticated - it is all or nothing. However, if all you want
is ability to use 2fa against FreeIPA for OpenVPN authentication and use
just password everywhere else - that is actually possible.

This is how I achieved this - may not be an ideal setup but it works. As
suggested, set up users to support both 2fa and password authentication.
Forget about using PAM for OpenVPN authentication - instead use a plug-in
script with credentials passed using via-env. You can write the plugin in
any language you want (I used Python) and your logic should be something
along the lines of:

Parse password to separate OTP token from password. Use LDAP to
authenticate with just password and then again with password AND OTP token.
LDAP authentication happens on the IPA server and will support both
methods.  Authenticating twice is important to guarantee you do not have a
smart-alec user who sets their password to end in 6 digits instead of
actually enabling 2fa. Once you have successful authentication, you can use
it to perform additional verifications - like checking membership(or lack
thereof) in specific group, etc., etc.

So, here is something else to think about. You may not want to allow the
same accounts access to VPN and to the internal network. There is a reason
why this is generally considered a bad practice. If someone, by some means
(say another heartbleed-like exploit or some MITM attack or by gaining root
access to the VPN serve) gains access to your user's VPN login credentials
- the last thing you want is them having a full run of the network using
those exact same credentials. Ideally it would be nice if 2fa "pin" (the
non OTP portion of the 2fa) would be DIFFERENT from the password on the
same account, but FreeIPA does not support that - at least not at this
time. So what I would recommend is using a completely separate account in
FreeIPA for VPN access.  You can standardize this by using a standard
prefix (so that for example user "username" would have an "ext-username"
account for 2fa use with external authentication) - "ext" account would
have no permissions to any data or internal login, just to access the
network  from outside and the main account would have no external access.
To hack you, someone would then need to hack your OpenVPN box and then
would still need to hack your internal authentication - which should be
encrypted by TLS/SSH even over the VPN. You can also add the prefix
automatically behind the scenes with the OpenVPN authentication script, as
well as have the script only allow access for accounts that have no other
privileges besides external access. Something to think about.

HTH,

-M