[Freeipa-users] AD trust users cannot login to Solaris

nathan at nathanpeters.com nathan at nathanpeters.com
Thu Mar 5 00:24:34 UTC 2015

I have successfully setup a Solaris 10 client so that internal FreeIPA
users can login, get the correct shell, and can sudo to root using ldap.

The problem is that the AD trusted users cannot login.  I have read all
the freeIPA docs about enabling legacy clients, and they say to use the
compat tree.  I'm pretty sure I'm already doing this.  Here is the
contents of the ldap_client_file from my Solaris machine (which was
downloaded automatically when I did ldapclient init):

#
# Do not edit this file manually; your changes will be lost.Please use
ldapclient (1M) instead.
#
NS_LDAP_FILE_VERSION= 2.0
NS_LDAP_SERVERS= ipadc1.mydomain.net
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_BASEDN= dc=mydomain,dc=net
NS_LDAP_AUTH= none
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_REF= TRUE
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_TIME= 15
NS_LDAP_PROFILE= default
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= group:cn=groups,cn=compat,dc=mydomain,dc=net
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= passwd:cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=mydomain,dc=net
NS_LDAP_BIND_TIME= 5
NS_LDAP_OBJECTCLASSMAP= shadow:shadowAccount=posixAccount

I see that the users are coming from the accounts tree and the groups are
coming from the compat tree.  Is this right?  The trust was created with
--enable-compat so I'm surprised that only the groups are coming from the
compat tree.

Does FreeIPA serve up an improperly configured DefaultDUAProfile?

I couldn't login with this configuration, so I switched the passwd line to
cn=compat just to test, but that didn't seem to work.

Here is the result of getent passwd on solaris (last 2 lines):
admin:x:375200000:375200000:Administrator:/home/admin:/bin/bash
ipauser1:x:375200006:375200006:ipa user1:/home/ipauser1:/bin/bash

So once again, we can see FreeIPA users, but not AD users.

I don't think this is a Solaris problem because when I go onto my windows
desktop and load ldp.exe and view the ldap tree, I can view
cn=compat,dc=mydomain,dc=net

However, the compat tree has a users section that only includes my FreeIPA
internal users.  So my questions are :
1.)What is the point of a compat tree in FreeIPA if it doesn't list AD users?
2.)How do I get my compat tree to list my AD users?
3.)If there is something manual I have to do to make my compat tree show
AD users, why is this not done when enable the trust with --enable-compat.

>From what I can see, my compat tree basically contains the exact same
users and groups as my regular tree, so it will never allow a client using
ldap only auth to see the AD users?