[Freeipa-users] Synology DSM5 and freeIPA

Jakub Hrozek jhrozek at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 10:39:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 10:56:09AM +0100, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm planning to deploy freeIPA on our lan.
> It's small-ish and completely based on FC21, so I expect everything to work
> like a charm.
>
> Except one detail. We have Synology NAS station, which uses DSM 5.0.
> The ideal plan is to use it as host for shared NFS home dirs once we switch
> our desktops to freeIPA.
>
> I've already tried on a VirtualBox replica of our lan how to configure the
> Synology station against freeIPA.
> LDAP enrolling worked, and I created a srv entry in the freeIPA dns, but I
> didn't go further than that.
>
> SSSD does not seem to exist for DSM 5. What are the implications? Can it do
> without? I understood SSSD works as a caching system, so that the machine
> keeps working when freeIPA is unavailable.

Yes, I think you should configure the regular LDAP and/or Kerberos
authentication.

> Does it have any other vital
> role?

HBAC access control enforcement and setting the SELinux labels. The
latter is not really possible on Synology anyway.

> Thanks for your input.
>
> Roberto
>
> PS. This mailing list is pleasantly active. Keep up the good work!

thank you very much, it would be awesome if you could contribute a HOWTO
to freeipa.org..

(I'm a bit selfish here because I also run a Synology NAS at home :-))