[Freeipa-users] freeIPA function basics from user's perspective

Robert Erzen robert.erzen at g-r-v.com
Tue Mar 10 18:39:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm new to freeIPA and I'm researching how freeIPA bassically work. How
does this looks like from the perspective of the end user.
Can you please confirm or correct my knowledge about freeIPA functioning.

Let assume we have a mixed environment of five freeIPA servers which are
gatheredint one domain.
Then we have additional ten Linux servers which are aded to realm as Linux
hosts.
Then we have also five Windows servers, which are connected into Active
directory.
Trust relationship between freeIPA and AD is established.
When Windows user log into AD, he gets authenticated by AD and gain access
to assets in AD as well in freeIPA.  Is this correct?
How does things go with a Linux user? Will I be able to join his Ubuntu
user name and password to freeIPA?
Will he authenticate with freeIPA every time, he will log into his Ubuntu?

Thanx