[Freeipa-users] Backwards compatability

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 17:46:09 UTC 2015

On 03/11/2015 01:13 PM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a mix of Centos 6 and Centos 7 machines which we would like to
> manage with FreeIPA.
>
> I remember that setting up freeipa on Centos 6 can be a bit tricky
> although I found this method which works.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2013-June/msg00064.html
>
> I imagine the Centos 7 client setup is somewhat more streamlined.
>
> Assuming we install freeipa on Centos 7, will our centos 6 clients
> have any problem connection? Any caveats which we should be aware of?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Clients should work without any issues.

The only thing to keep in mind is that IPA's remote management CLI
should be used from the systems of the same versions as the server. In
other words the ipa-admintools package that contains CLI would not work
from CentOS 6  system against CentOS 7 system. But would work from 7 to 7.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio