[Freeipa-users] Weird IPA shutdown issues

Brian Topping brian.topping at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 19:02:41 UTC 2015

Hi all, I have a weird shutdown issue on an IPA instance (ipa-server-3.3.3-28.0.1.el7.centos.3.x86_64) on CentOS (CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406) that's been working fine for at least six months, maybe longer. It's replicated to an identical instance that is having no problems.

https://gist.github.com/briantopping/2fc430038b4ca6c80d05 <https://gist.github.com/briantopping/2fc430038b4ca6c80d05> is the relevant snippets of /var/log/messages. It starts booting up, everything working, then systemd decides to shut down IPA for no apparent reason. I haven't touched any system software for several weeks.

When the system is booting, "runlevel" reports "unknown". It seems to be about the same time that it changes to "N 3" that everything starts shutting down.

My sense is systemd is configured with some dependency in the IPA processes that it (correctly) finds a fault and shut everything down. I just don't see anything in the messages above that would indicate such a fault. By the time it's over, even named is shut down!

Systemd is new to me still, if I need to RTFM, I guess that's one answer, but I thought I would check here to see if I could get a better idea of how everything is wired.

I am limping by on the second box for now, so this isn't an emergency.

Thanks for any consideration to this!

Brian