[Freeipa-users] Need to replace cert for ipa servers

Johnny Tan johnnydtan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 17:47:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

> IPA does not use certs for communication between the instances. It uses
> Kerberos. I am not sure the DoDaddy cert you added is even used in some way
> by IPA.

Dmitri or Rob:

Could you explain what the various uses of the IPA certs are, then? AFAICT,
the IPA masters generate a certificate for each node in the realm. Why does
it do that? I thought it was for:
- Webui/api (apache) communication over https.
- LDAP binding/communication over 636 (TLS).

But if the certs are not utilized for communication between the instances
(per statement above), what are they used for?

I'm not hijacking the thread, I'm actually in the exact same position as
OP. I replaced the self-signed IPA/dogtag CA root with one that was signed
by our own CA and am now having problems with various cert errors during
client enrollment or any other similar activity (like doing an 'ipa host-del'
directly on an IPA master).

I can post those details in a separate thread, but before I go down that
path, I want to better understand what the purpose of the certs are so I
can deterine what's the best path forward for us.

As I understand it from the docs, there are three primary ways to run IPA with
respect to a CA:
- self-signed IPA CA, this is the default
- signing the IPA CA root with an "external"/3rd-party CA
- running "CA-less" and providing all certs with the
external/3rd-party CA (depending
on what the use/purpose of the certs are, this is increasingly becoming an
attractive option but is likely also tedious in its own right)

Thanks for any insight.