[Freeipa-users] Gave Up on RHEL6->7 migration, starting over. (ipa migrate-ds)

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 22:07:36 UTC 2015

On 03/16/2015 03:49 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our present IPA started on RHEL6.2 (I think) and has a self-signed cert which  has the wrong encoding.   I am just replacing it now, its preventing RHEL7.1 joining/working/replicating.
>
> Now I am waiting on a BZ, so upgrading to RHEL7.1 isnt easy or quick.
>
> regards
>
> Steven

Do not turn the migration off using ipa-config-mod
--enable-mogration=false until your users migrated their passwords.
The migration UI would not work if migration mode is turned off.

>> [16/Mar/2015:14:43:21 -0400] - Skipping CoS Definition cn=Password
>> Policy,cn=accounts,dc=XXX,dc=XXX--no CoS Templates found, which should
>> be added before the CoS Definition.
>> [16/Mar/2015:14:43:21 -0400] - Skipping CoS Definition cn=Password
>> Policy,cn=accounts,dc=XXX,dc=XXX--no CoS Templates found, which should
>> be added before the CoS Definition.
> ...which seems fishy.

This is something for the team to take a look at.
I can't say whether is an issue or a red herring.

> 2. If I manually reset my user's password in the UI and then try to log
> in as that user, it does work, but I'd like to avoid having to
> hand-reset every single user's account for obvious reasons.  When I *do*
> log in as my reset user, I always get this on the shell:
>
>> id: cannot find name for group ID 18600003

Did you clean the SSSD cache on the client?

> That gid is the `ipausers` GID from the old server.  It appears that
> modern FreeIPA doesn't assign a GID to `ipausers` which is fine, but I
> can't figure out how to *remove* the old GID from existing users and
> have everything be correct.  I've tried adding a group and forcing its
> GID to match the missing GID and deleting it again, but now it just
> seems to have cached it... when I do an `id` on my user, it still shows
> my user's GID as being 18600003(temp) even though the "temp" group has
> been removed.
>
> Any ideas how to do this migration properly?

You want to flush caches on the clients for thing to work properly after
such migration.
These recommendations will get you further, let us know if you see any
other issues.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal