[Freeipa-users] Problems with ssh and install-uninstall-install sequence on the server

Prasun Gera prasun.gera at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:39:14 UTC 2015

How do I confirm that there are no certs left behind and that cert-monger
isn't tracking them? I'm a bit new to all the components used by IPA. I do
see that the /root/cacert.p12 file is never deleted.

After an uninstall, I see this:
getcert list
Number of certificates and requests being tracked: 0.

getcert status
process 31282: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect,
assertion "path != NULL" failed in file dbus-message.c line 1262.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted (core dumped)

I ran a few more tests, and I have had partial success with some
configurations. Here's what I found:

1) The install-uninstall-install sequence definitely seems to be broken (at
least for my configuration), and should be reproducible fairly easily. I
would like to reproduce this consistently in a docker image/vm, but docker
is apparently not supported on satellite subscribed RHEL systems. The only
variable in the system is dns(external) and the choice of ipa domain name.
The ipa server setup was pretty stock with no integrated dns. I don't know
if some ipa domain names are preferred over others, but I feel that it
shouldn't affect the client on the server at least.
2) I had some success with reboots. i.e. After the last install, rebooting
the computer solves the problem for some cases at least. I am not sure if
it is a general solution. I think it's also related to the choice of the
domain name. The reboot trick doesn't help if the ipa domain name is the
one derived from hostname.  It did work for a random domain name though.
3) I need to understand how important the IPA domain name is. Should the
ipa domain name be related to the hostname of the server (as suggested by
the script)? What happens if someone else has another ipa server with the
same domain name on the network? Also, what happens if there is another NIS
server with the same domain name on the network? And lastly, what if the
ipa server is setup on an existing  NIS server or an NIS client ? I have
tried a lot of permutations, and I have a feeling that this problem is
somehow tied to the name resolution, and domain names, with external dns
servers possibly playing a part.

I'll post the logs if I can't make progress.

Regards,
Prasun