[Freeipa-users] Email address for directory admin

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 13:36:54 UTC 2015

Giedrius Tuminauskas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am curious, Is there a possibility to add email address for the
> "admin" user in the IPA web UI?
> In my current configuration "admin" user is a Linux system user and also
> used by IPA.
> I think there should be possibility to enter an email address for that
> user, but UI has no button/link (add)
>
> Is it expected behavior?
> Can you please suggest some tweaks, how to add it?

Not easily from the UI but possible from the cli. The admin user lacks
the inetOrgPerson objectclass which provides the mail attribute.

I haven't given this a great deal of thought so can't guarantee that
there won't be any subtle issues now or in the future, but given that
this objectclass only has MAY attributes is should be ok.

$ kinit admin
$ ipa user-mod --email admin at example.com --addattr
objectclass=inetorgperson admin

rob