[Freeipa-users] Synology DSM5 and freeIPA

Roberto Cornacchia roberto.cornacchia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:18:57 UTC 2015

It's possible that I'm simply not getting the point, or that I don't
understand the documentation correctly, but this is what I don't find clear:

I had seen the instructions you pointed me at. These are not specifically
about home directories.

However, this section is:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#homedir-reqs

It first suggests that automatic creation of home directories over NFS
shares is possible: just automount /home and then use pam_oddjob_mkhomedir
or pam_mkhomedir to create homedirs at first login.

But then it also suggests that mounting the whole /home tree could be an
issue, and says: "*Use automount to mount only the user's home directory
and only when the user logs in, rather than loading the entire /home tree."*

That means that automatic homedir creation is out of the game, doesn't it?

That's what I find confusing. What's the recommended way?