[Freeipa-users] Automatic client enrollment

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sun Mar 22 19:21:14 UTC 2015

On 03/21/2015 08:57 PM, Prasun Gera wrote:
> Yes, this approach would work, and it would be a good enhancement. It
> would make migration from NIS easier with very little impact to users.
> Are you saying that something like this can be implemented right now?
> Or do you mean that this is how it could be done in future ?

In future. I suggested opnenning and RFE.

> How does a host submit a request to the host admin? Is there a host
> admin daemon that listens for these requests ?

No. And I am not sure it is needed.
To be fair what you are looking for can be accomplished using Foreman or
Satellite 6 right now.
This is why the RFE would probably be a low priority.

Integrating with Foreman/Satellite a person provisioning a system (or
systems) will just click a button to provision a system and it will be
enrolled automatically.
The RFE will be useful when you try to use kickstart in a manual fashion.
In this case you will use a special admin account as I suggested with
password baked into the kickstart (not ideal). But IP range checking
will reduce the risk of adding a rogue system if the kiskstart is stolen.

But IMO it is better to go the Foreman path right away.
http://theforeman.org/manuals/1.5/index.html#4.3.11FreeIPARealm