[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install failure

Roberto Cornacchia roberto.cornacchia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:43:23 UTC 2015

Hi there,

All the issues I reported in this long thread are SOLVED.
For completeness, I'm posting here the conclusions.

ipa-client-install did enroll the client but failed in several points:

$ ipa-client-install --mkhomedir --ssh-trust-dns --force-ntpd
[...]
Synchronizing time with KDC...
Unable to sync time with IPA NTP server, assuming the time is in sync.
Please check that 123 UDP port is opened.
[...]
Failed to update DNS records.
[...]
Could not update DNS SSHFP records.
[...]
Unable to find 'admin' user with 'getent passwd admin at hq.example.com'!
Unable to reliably detect configuration. Check NSS setup manually.
[...]
Client configuration complete.

There were two distinct problems:

1) NTP sync failed because despite using --force-ntp, chronyd wasn't
stopped beforehand. Stopping it manually solved the issue. I believe
ipa-client-install stopping chronyd was the intended behaviour, in which
case this is perhaps a bug. If it needs to be stopped manually, then it
should be documented clearly.
The failed NTP sync caused Kerberos to fail, which explains "Unable to find
'admin' user with 'getent passwd admin at hq.example.com'".

2) DNS update failed because for some obscure reason I forgot to open port
53/tcp on the server's firewall. Only 53/udp was open. This fooled me,
because with 53/udp open, the DNS was almost completely functional.
However, updates also require 53/tcp.

All in all, it was a full 2day digging and debugging. Bright side is, I
learned a lot.

A sincere thank you for the many useful answers I received!
Best,
Roberto