[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install failure

Roberto Cornacchia roberto.cornacchia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:01:00 UTC 2015

On 24 March 2015 at 14:49, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On 03/24/2015 09:43 AM, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>  All the issues I reported in this long thread are SOLVED.
>

> Thanks for closing the loop.
>
>  For completeness, I'm posting here the conclusions.
>
>  ipa-client-install did enroll the client but failed in several points:
>
>  $ ipa-client-install --mkhomedir --ssh-trust-dns --force-ntpd
> [...]
> Synchronizing time with KDC...
>  Unable to sync time with IPA NTP server, assuming the time is in sync.
> Please check that 123 UDP port is opened.
> [...]
> Failed to update DNS records.
> [...]
> Could not update DNS SSHFP records.
>  [...]
> Unable to find 'admin' user with 'getent passwd admin at hq.example.com'!
>  Unable to reliably detect configuration. Check NSS setup manually.
> [...]
> Client configuration complete.
>
>  There were two distinct problems:
>
>  1) NTP sync failed because despite using --force-ntp, chronyd wasn't
> stopped beforehand. Stopping it manually solved the issue. I believe
> ipa-client-install stopping chronyd was the intended behaviour, in which
> case this is perhaps a bug. If it needs to be stopped manually, then it
> should be documented clearly.
> The failed NTP sync caused Kerberos to fail, which explains "Unable to
> find 'admin' user with 'getent passwd admin at hq.example.com'".
>

> We should probably file a ticket about this. I am just not sure what
> exactly it should be.

IMHO, the "assuming the time is in sync" bit is dangerous. The client and
the server were already quite in sync (both automatically synced with a
remote time server) , but apparently not enough. Being time sync so central
in the infrastructure, I would probably want to abort the installation if
no sync can be performed successfully.