[Freeipa-users] Is systemd really a requirement for freeipa 4.x?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 23:55:15 UTC 2015

On 03/25/2015 01:41 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Coy Hile wrote:
>> When I look at the SPEC file for freeipa-4.1.3, I see requirements
>> around Systemd.  Is that really a hard requirement, or is it possible to
>> run newer FreeIPA (that is to say 4.x) on a host that hasn't been
>> infested by systemd (such as CentOS 6, for example)?  At the moment, I'm
>> speaking completely of the server components.
> There are a slew of major dependencies that prevent IPA 4.x from working
> in RHEL/CentOS 6. It would be quite non-trivial to try to backport
> everything needed.
>
> rob

systemd is just one of the next generation technologies we had to deal
with but it we had to deal with we took advantage of it.
As Rob said 4.x depends on many component that are not portable back to
RHEL/CentOS 6.

Please consider Fedora 21/RHEL 7.1/CentOS 7.1 if you want to run latest
bits.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal