[Freeipa-users] bind-dyndb-ldap vs DLZ

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Thu Mar 26 00:25:28 UTC 2015

Thanks for your email, (I have included the ML in this reply)

We run Solaris with bind+DLZ+ldap on the DNS servers, and are looking at
better performance. Which means evaluating bind-dyndb-ldap. I did some
minor tweaks to compile bind-dyndb on Solaris.

Since we already have large systems running in production, with
provisioning, and support tools, it is unlikely we would change the schema.
It would probably be less work for me to fork bind-dyndb and massage it
into handling DLZ schema directly.

But before that, we are just evaluating bind-dyndb to decide if it fits
with our systems.

I loaded the 300k zones we have in DLZ-LDAP, into bind-dyndb schema (Just
SOA records with a single ARecord).

[1]
The first issue is that to start named takes about 50 mins. This is a bit
of an issue as there is no resolving while it is starting. This seems to be
the same delay each time I start it. slapd is running on localhost, and is
otherwise idle. It is just a large syncrepl for 300k records, always
starting from epoch...

[2]
Is it supposed to be able to use the "dump-file" on exit for faster loads?
Perhaps I broke something while porting it to Solaris. I see it create
directories for each zone, only to create an empty "keys" directory. In
addition to that, having 300k entries in one directory might need hashing.
ZFS is ok with it, but it tends to slow down.

However, once it is loaded, it is much faster than DLZ+LDAP. Previous
system would see about 300qps. (All zones, plus
/usr/share/dict/words+".com" with dnsperf)

bind-dyndb gave the same benchmarking test 18796qps.

Now, interestingly, I can also define a DLZ+LDAP line in named.conf after
the bind-dyndb. This has the effect that while bind-dyndb is taking 50 mins
to start up, it will resolve names using DLZ+LDAP. Sure, at the worse qps
of course, but it is at least resolving.

[3]
However, that has a side-effect that, once bind-dyndb is loaded, it will
also query DLZ+LDAP on negative entries. Thus decreasing the performance to
3884qps.  Wonder if there is a way to have bind-dyndb ignore DLZ+LDAP /once
it has loaded/.

That is our current situation.

Sincerely,

Lund

ps. There are some minor faults in the example.ldif, like
"idnsName=example.com"'s idnsName is "ipatest.com". And is missing NSRecord.

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)