[Freeipa-users] can't specify DNS name or subject in cert request in FreeIPA 3.3

Steve Neuharth steve at sylvation.com
Thu Mar 26 18:09:53 UTC 2015

I'm trying to specify a subject name in a cert request like this:

ipa-getcert request -K HTTP/web.test.org -N *cn=www.test.org
<http://www.test.org>,o=TEST.ORG <http://TEST.ORG>* -f /tmp/webserver.crt
-k /tmp/webprivate.key -r

or like this

ipa-getcert request -K HTTP/web.test.org -D www.test.org -f
/tmp/webserver.crt -k /tmp/webprivate.key -r

The resulting certificate, however, just has the hostname of the server
like this:

Request ID '20150326060555':
        status: MONITORING
        stuck: no
        key pair storage: type=FILE,location='/tmp/webprivate.key'
        certificate: type=FILE,location='/tmp/webserver.crt'
        CA: IPA
        issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=TEST.ORG
        subject: *CN=web.test.org <http://web.test.org>,O=TEST.ORG
<http://TEST.ORG>*
        expires: 2017-03-26 05:46:29 UTC
        key usage:
digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
        eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
        pre-save command:
        post-save command:
        track: yes
        auto-renew: yes

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong in certmonger?

--steve