[Freeipa-users] passwordStorageScheme

Sankar Ramlingam sramling at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 15:39:30 UTC 2015

On 03/27/2015 06:21 PM, Andy Thompson wrote:
> Relative newb here :) I'm doing some research trying to sort out the password storage scheme being used on the freeipa LDAP instance.  From everything I can find it uses ssha but can be changed to ssha-512.  But when I try to change that attribute on the cn=config object like referenced here https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management.html#Configuring_a_Global_Password_Policy_Using_the_Command_Line-Password_Policy_Attributes
>
> It comes back with wrong attribute type.  I realize that doc points to the RHDS so it might be valid for the ipa ds?
Hi Andy,

The value has to be SHA512. Its not SHA-512.

/usr/bin/ldapmodify -x -p 1189 -h localhost -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w
XXXXX << EOF
 > dn: cn=config
 > changetype: modify
 > replace: passwordStorageScheme
 > passwordStorageScheme: SHA-512
 > EOF
modifying entry "cn=config"
ldap_modify: Operations error (1)
     additional info: passwordStorageScheme: invalid scheme - SHA-512.
Valid schemes are: CLEAR, CRYPT, MD5, SHA, SHA256, SHA384, SHA512, SMD5,
SSHA, SSHA256, SSHA384, SSHA512

/usr/bin/ldapmodify -x -p 1189 -h localhost -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w
XXXXX << EOF
dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: passwordStorageScheme