[Freeipa-users] multi homed environment

Andy Thompson Andy.Thompson at e-tcc.com
Fri May 8 12:04:36 UTC 2015

I'm trying to roll out IPA in an existing windows environment where everything is multi homed.  I did not put my IPA server on all the subnets.

I'm having an issue with adding a trust to the domain with the error below

ipa: ERROR: CIFS server communication error: code "-1073741801",
                  message "Memory allocation error" (both may be "None")

DNS I think since it round robins all the existing A records and is returning IPs out of the local subnet.  I don't know much about windows dns services but it's got netmask optimization enabled and doing digs against the service returns the local IP first every time, but pings return them in any order.

I've considered adding the DCs to the local hosts file but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem or not.  Is that a viable fix?

Anyone have any experience in an environment like this?   Really not sure what additional problems I will run into with all this multi homed nonsense.

*** This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. ***