[Freeipa-users] interesting Kerberos issue

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:39:02 UTC 2015

> On Sun, 10 May 2015, Janelle wrote:

>>> If the user is enabled for OTP his credential are sent differently
>>> than in the case when it is not enabled. Effectively instead of
>>> using encrypted timestamp the password and OTP are sent to the
>>> server as data. But they can't be sent in clear. You need to encrypt
>>> the data. To encrypt it you need another key - the host key. The
>>> encryption of the data in this context is called tunneling . FAST is
>>> the Kerberos protocol feature to provide tunneling of the data sent
>>> over the wire. To use FAST one needs to use -T on the kinit command
>>> line.
>>> Does this help?
>>>
>> It helps -- thank you.
>>
>> Now allow me to add a little more fun, and there may not be a solution.
>>> From OS X (Yosemite) I am able to "kinit --kdc-hostname=IPA-server
>> principal" and it works, gives me a ticket, and if I attempt to login
>> to the web interface, since I already have my ticket - boom, works fine.
>>
>> Now, I enable 2FA and setup a token and change my account to OTP
>> (with TOTP).  But as previously discussed, can't seem to specify a -T
>> option from OS X.
>>
>> I know this sounds tricky -- Any ideas?
> Use
>  kinit --fast-armor-cache /path/to/ccache to specify already existing
> ccache to armor the FAST processing.
>
> This is Heimdal-specific, and you should have Heimdal 1.6rc2 at least.
> You can check version number by running 'kinit --version'.
Aha, so thee default on OS X Yosemite is

$ kinit --version
kinit (Heimdal 1.5.1apple1)

so this won't work?

~J

PS - sorry for the questions, still trying to wrap my head around how to
get OTP working from a term session so you can get your ticket and then
login to all the hosts you need without reauthenticating.