[Freeipa-users] confused by ldapsearch results

Boyce, George Robert. (GSFC-762.0)[NICS] george.boyce at nasa.gov
Tue May 19 19:53:41 UTC 2015

I don't understand what is happening...

If I use a compound OR filter to search for "cn" or "uid", I only get back the match for uid. I expect to get both. If I add a search for a nonexistent attribute like "name", I get nothing back. I expect to get back the entry matched by the other term.

# l "(cn=gboyce)" dn
dn: cn=gboyce,cn=groups,cn=accounts,dc=...

# l "(uid=gboyce)" dn
dn: uid=gboyce,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=...

# l "(|(uid=gboyce)(cn=gboyce))" dn
dn: uid=gboyce,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=...

# l "(|(cn=gboyce)(uid=gboyce))" dn
dn: uid=gboyce,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=...

# l "(|(uid=gboyce)(name=gboyce))" dn
#

This is on a new deployment of ipa on centos, with just a couple of test records. I don't have much recent experience with LDAP, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Dirsrv on centos 6.5 works as expected.

# ipa --version
VERSION: 4.1.0, API_VERSION: 2.112

# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)