[Freeipa-users] ssh problem with migrated FreeIPA client on EL7.1 --> Solved

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Sat May 30 16:50:45 UTC 2015

Hi All

It gives me pleasure to report the problem is solved - a minute ago I was
able to login via ssh with my FreeIPA user to the problem server, while
sitting on my terrace with a glass of wine!

Thanks to Alexander for his helpful advice - we had some mail exchange
outside the user list as I did not wish to broadcast content of keys,
config files etc.

Regardless of what I did with commands like klist, kvno everything seemed
"ok", but I still could not ssh in. Even a ipa-getkeytab did not help.

Therefore I decided to opt for brute force and (partial) ignorance. I
completely uninstalled the FreeIPA client, and then reinstalled, configured
- ét voilà I could ssh in!

This leaves the enigma: what caused the problem? I suspect the following:

The host is an EL 7.1, but the first FreeIPA client installed was version
3.3.3 (installed as set of standard packages that we bung on all our
servers).

This worked fine to authenticate against our "old" 3.x FreeIPA server, but
did not work against the "new" 4.1 FreeIPA Server.

When I realised I could not ssh in, one of the first things I did was to
yum update the FreeIPA client from 3.3.3 to 4.1 - but that did not help.
The solution was to yum remove the FreeIPA client, then yum install the 4.1
client.

I have some more EL 7.1 servers with the FreeIPA 3.3.3 client installed, so
it will be interesting to see it the problem can be reproduced.

Keep up the good work,

Chris