[Freeipa-users] Upgrade from 4.1.4

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 09:32:09 UTC 2015

On 11/04/2015 10:27 AM, Prashant Bapat wrote:
> Ack. But in a live replicated setup wont upgrading from F21->F22 and
> F22->F23 take a long time. I mean couple of hours ?

It will take some outage time, yes. But if you have appropriate number of
replicas and are upgrading one by one, you should be fine - the clients should
fail over to other replicas.

> Are there any other ways to do this. Perhaps do a fresh install of F23 and
> then restore data from FreeIPA 4.1.4 (F21) ?

FreeIPA upgrade also updates the data themselves. Restoring old data and
configuration files on fresh F23 using full backup + running the upgrade may
work, but there may be also a lot of hurdles. It is not really a tested approach.