[Freeipa-users] IPA with external CA signed certs

James Masson james.masson at jmips.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 13:01:28 UTC 2015

On 30/10/15 13:52, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> James Masson wrote:

>>> Let me CC at least Jan Ch. and David, they may be able to help and
>>> should also
>>> make sure FreeIPA gets better in validating the certs, as appropriate.
>>>

>> Any thoughts guys?
>
> I cc'd one of the dogtag guys to see if he knows.
>
> You might also try using certutil to validate the certificates, it might
> give you some hints to what is going on.
>
> I'm assuming your certdb (it can vary by version) is in
> /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias
>
> certutil -L -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias will give you the list of
> certificates installed. You can verify each one to see what is going on.
> The -u flag specfies usage. See the certutil man page for a full set of
> options.
>
> For example:
>
> # certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n 'auditSigningCert
> cert-pki-ca'
> certutil: certificate is valid
>
> rob

Hi All,

I've created a ticket to track this

https://fedorahosted.org/pki/ticket/1697

Rob - certutil output:

Some certificates types seem not to be approved. Not sure if this is a
red herring.

##############
[root at foo ~]# certutil -L -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias

Certificate Nickname                                         Trust
Attributes

SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI

caSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                    CTu,Cu,Cu
root.com                                                     CT,c,
ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                  u,u,u
subsystemCert cert-pki-ca                                    u,u,u
Server-Cert cert-pki-ca                                      u,u,u
auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca                                 u,u,Pu
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'caSigningCert cert-pki-ca'
certutil: certificate is valid
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'root.com'
certutil: certificate is invalid: Certificate type not approved for
application.
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'ocspSigningCert cert-pki-ca'
certutil: certificate is invalid: Certificate type not approved for
application.
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'subsystemCert cert-pki-ca'
certutil: certificate is valid
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'Server-Cert cert-pki-ca'
certutil: certificate is invalid: Certificate type not approved for
application.
[root at foo ~]# certutil -V -u C -d /var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat/alias -n
'auditSigningCert cert-pki-ca'
certutil: certificate is valid

regards

James M