[Freeipa-users] Upgrading from 3.0.0 CentOS6 to 4.2.3 CentOS7

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 09:31:48 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 11:03 PM, Ash Alam wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I am looking for some advice on upgrading. Currently our FreeIPA servers are
> 3.0.0 on centos 6.6. We are looking to go to 4.2.3 Centos7. This upgrade path
> is not possible per IPA documentation. Minimum version required is 3.3.x. I
> have also found that cenos6 does not provide anything past 3.0.0.

And it won't. There are no plans in updating FreeIPA version in
RHEL/CentOS-6.x, we encourage people who want the new features to migrate to
RHEL-7.x:

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Migration#Migrating_Identity_Management_in_RHEL.2FCentOS

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/upgrading.html#migrating-ipa-proc

If you want to wait on CentOS-7.2, it should be in works now:
http://seven.centos.org/2015/11/rhel-7-2-released-today/

> One idea is to upgrade to 3.3.x first and then upgrade to 4.2.3 on centos7.
> This is harder since centos does not provide this. The other issue is if
> 3.0/3.3 client will be supported with 4.2.3 server.

The right way is to migrate via creating replicas in RHEL/CentOS-7.x and slowly
deprecating RHEL/CentOS-6 ones. Detailed procedure in the links above.