[Freeipa-users] Oracle Linux 5.5 - Legacy Question

Jeffrey Stormshak jstormshak at cccis.com
Tue Nov 24 02:05:15 UTC 2015

Jakub/Rob -
Thanks for the feedback.  I was finally able to ditch the ‘binddn’ and was able to get SSL working upon upgrading the OpenSSL from the 5.5 base to the one supplied in 5.7 base. The SSL is fully authenticating and with sudo access.  However, I’m riddled by the following item below.  I’m hoping that someone/somewhere encountered this issue and was able to resolve it using this legacy 5.5.  See details provided below.  All thoughts/suggestions are truly appreciated !!

$ id -a
uid=1403200001(pmoss) gid=7000(sysadmin) groups=7000(sysadmin)

$ passwd
Changing password for user pmoss.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:

LDAP password information update failed: Insufficient access
Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry 'uid=pmoss,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=linuxcccis,dc=com'.

passwd: Permission denied

# ipa user-show pmoss --all --rights | grep -i userpass  ->  attributelevelrights: {u'userpassword': u'swo’, …

pmoss shows u'userpassword': u'swo'
‘swo’ translates to ‘search,write,delete’

Why wouldn’t the above be enough rights to be able to change ‘pmoss’ personal password?  Thoughts ?

Jeffrey Stormshak, RHCSA | Sr. Linux Engineer
Platform Systems | IT Operations Infrastructure
CCC Information Services, Inc.
Phone: (312) 229-2552