[Freeipa-users] freeipa client on Linux Mint?

Torsten Harenberg harenberg at physik.uni-wuppertal.de
Wed Nov 25 08:28:09 UTC 2015

Dear all,

just wanna ask if anyone has successfully managed to get the freeipa
client to work on a recent Linux Mint.

While Mint should be more or less compatible to Ubuntu 14.04, and I had
no problems getting it to run on Ubuntu, I failed to get it working on Mint.

The installation process went smoothly and not different to those on
Ubuntu. I just found libpam-sss not being installed as dependency.

Kerberos seems to work okay as well, I can get a Kerberos token.

But the user names are not resolved, all IPA users are unknown.

I already checked /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/pam.d/*, but could not
found a real difference which could explain that.

What I found is a possibility

https://sites.google.com/site/fossvi/home/howto-freeipa-client-install-linux-mint-ubuntu

which seem to work, BUT this is getting the users through LDAP not sssd.
That was not needed for Ubuntu.

I tried to use both the provided packages as well as the ppa
repositories for both sssd and freeipa-client.

I raised the log level for sssd but even with a high log level I
couldn't identify an error.

Best regards,

  Torsten

--