[Freeipa-users] CA Certificate Profile

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 04:03:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:42:28PM +0000, wouter.hummelink at kpn.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For one of my customer projects I need server certificates that have an OU component in de the subject. I tried making a certificate profile that is identical to the default caIPAServiceCert except for the first section. I changed the constraint to include OU and the default to include an OU, however that doesn't appear to be a valid field.
>
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.constraint.class_id=subjectNameConstraintImpl
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.constraint.name=Subject Name Constraint
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.constraint.params.accept=true
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.constraint.params.pattern=CN=[^,]+,OU=[^,],.+
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.default.class_id=subjectNameDefaultImpl
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.default.name=Subject Name Default
> policyset.serverCertSet.1.default.params.name=CN=$request.req_subject_name.cn$,OU=$request.req_subject_name.ou$,O=LINUX.TEST.INFRA.LOCAL
>
> I can see the CSR that comes into pki include the OU field when requested like following.
>
> ipa-getcert request -I test -k /etc/pki/tls/certs/server.key -f /etc/pki/tls/certs/server.cert -N "CN=$(hostname -f),OU=Test,O=LINUX.TEST.INFRA.LOCAL" -K host/$(hostname -f) -w -T KPNWebhostingServiceCert
>
> The debug log however doesn't show a key like request.req_subject_name.ou, and results in a nasty error on the certmonger side:
> Request ID 'test':
>         status: CA_UNREACHABLE
>         ca-error: Server at https://ipaserver.ipa.local/ipa/xml failed request, will retry: 4301 (RPC failed at server.  Certificate operation cannot be completed: unknown(3) (Request Rejected - {0})).
>         stuck: no
>         key pair storage: type=FILE,location='/etc/pki/tls/certs/server.key'
>         certificate: type=FILE,location='/etc/pki/tls/certs/server.cert'
>         CA: IPA
>         issuer:
>         subject:
>         expires: unknown
>         pre-save command:
>         post-save command:
>         track: yes
>         auto-renew: yes

Hi, thanks for your detailed report.

Dogtag currently only supports $request.req_subject_name.{cn,uid}$.
The error occurs because Dogtag does not populate the
$request.req_subject_name.ou$ substitution variable thus the
formatting of the subject name fails.

If the OU is to be the same for all certificates, or if there are
only a handful of values, you can make different profiles with
constant OUs.

If that is not adequate, we can file an RFE to add support for other
DN components including OU.

(Also, note that FreeIPA currently does not perform any validation
of the OU in the CSR against the target principal's entry).

Cheers,
Fraser