[Freeipa-users] CA installation failed on server

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 15:27:26 UTC 2015

Christian Heimes wrote:
> On 2015-11-30 12:51, Martin Basti wrote:

>>> Sounds unlikely to me. If indeed it did happen you'd need to file a bug
>>> against Apache to create its own uid/gid, which I'm pretty certain it
>>> already does.
>>>
>>> In any case, dogtag doesn't run in Apache so it would be unlikely to
>>> blow up in the CA installer.
>>>
>>> cating the contents of a directory into one log is not at all helpful,
>>> especially given that you missed all the important bits in the
>>> subdirectories beneath it. This is just a mishmash of stuff. We need to
>>> see /var/log/pki/pki-tomcat/ca/debug.
>>>
>>> /var/log/ipaserver-install.log might also be useful to see though it
>>> probably just records in a more verbose way the fact that pkispawn
>>> failed.
>>>
>>> rob
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I see in log this error message:
>>
>> 2015-11-26 08:41:53 pkidestroy  : ERROR    .......
>> subprocess.CalledProcessError:  Command '['/usr/bin/sslget', '-n',
>> 'subsystemCert cert-pki-ca', '-p', '272326334956', '-d',
>> '/etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias', '-e',
>> 'name="/var/lib/pki/pki-tomcat"&type=CA&list=caList&host=ipa.home&sport=443&ncsport=8443&adminsport=8443&agentsport=8443&operation=remove',
>> '-v', '-r', '/ca/agent/ca/updateDomainXML', 'ipa.home:443']' returned
>> non-zero exit status 6!
>>
>> It means that the CA has no been sucessfully uninstalled, and it can
>> cause issues during installation
>> PKI bug:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/pki/ticket/1704
>>
>> Christian may have workaround (CCed)
>
> Hi Martin and Martin,
>
> last week I have identified an incompatibility between Dogtag's sslget
> command and Apache HTTP. sslget sends a server name indication during
> the TLS/SSL handshake but doesn't send a HTTP Host header. Newer
> versions of Apache HTTP don't accept requests with SNI and without HTTP
> Host. You should see a HTTP/400 Bad Request in /var/log/httpd/error_log.
>
> The simplest workaround is to bypass Apache and talk to Dogtag directly.
> In order to do bypass the Apache proxy you have to log onto the server.
> You also have to become root so you can access the NSS database that
> contains the private key for authentication. Simply copy and paste the
> sslget command from the log (everything between "Command '[" and "]'
> returend non-zero exit status 6!"), remove the comma, replace
> 'ipa.home:443' with 'ipa.home:8443' and run the command. The command
> should look like:
>
> '/usr/bin/sslget' '-n' 'subsystemCert cert-pki-ca' ...
> '/ca/agent/ca/updateDomainXML' 'ipa.home:8443'

mod_nss added support for SNI in Fedora 23. It should behave the same
way as mod_ssl, denying a request that contains an SNI hostname but no
Host header.

I assume you've filed a bug against dogtag to send a Host header in the
request?

A better workaround would be to add NSSSNI off to
/etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf within the default VH. Retrying the install
should work then, or at least get past this sslget error.

rob