[Freeipa-users] Trust Issues W/ Logins on Windows Desktops

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 13:18:26 UTC 2015

On 02/10/15 04:06, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2015, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> Unfortunately you will not be able to log into Windows workstations
>>> using IPA
>>> users because FreeIPA is (at the moment) missing Global Catalog
>>> component
>>> which prevents Windows from working with IPA users.
>>>
>>> It should work the other way around, but there is nothing you can do
>>> at the
>>> moment to make it working with IPA users in Windows. Global Catalog
>>> is several
>>> months away in the best case.
>>
>> This is not entirely true.
>> There is no way to add IPA SIDs to the relevant authorization groups
>> using the GUI tools in AD, but technically you can do that using
>> command line tools and pasting in SIDs directly.
>> Authentication would be possible then, however Windows clients will
>> never be able to resolve SID to Names, so looking at file permissions
>> you will not be able to see user names, but only SIDs for IPA users.
>> Some tools that may depend on SID->Name translation may also fail in
>> unexpected ways.
> practically, you will not be able to login into Windows workstations
> because login screen will have to do Name->SID translation which it
> wouldn't be able to do.

I do not think this is really true, I tested a while back that the PAC
is used for Name -> SID of the logging in user, but I do not know if all
versions of Windows will work flawlessly this way.

>> This is why we do not recommend to try this, but it is technically
>> possible if you know very well how to handle everything through
>> Windows CLIs (I don't so don't ask :-)
> It will not work for Name->SID translations, thus making it practially
> unusable.

It really depends on what you are doing, but I agree it will have
issues, therefore we do not recommend it.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York