[Freeipa-users] FreeNAS Authenticating Againts FreeIPA

Youenn PIOLET piolet.y at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:33:34 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

This may come from the ipa attributes added by adtrust on user/group
classes.
For example in 4.1.4: FreeIPA will add on each user the attribute (for
ipasam.so usage):

  ipaNTSecurityIdentifier: S-1-5-**-*******

when standard samba attributes known by samba with ldapsam.so are:

  sambaSID: S-1-5-**-*******

I guess as the OID must be different, your CIFS will not recognise the
attribute and won't be able to use it.
I also guess it is the same for the password hash that may not be using the
right algorithm.

You can check this directly in your IPA 365directory tree, and with dirsrv
logfiles.
I suppose you would see FreeNAS trying to search for specific attributes in
user objects that don't exist.

These informations are based on deduction but I'm not confident enough to
assure you this is a fact :)

--
Youenn Piolet
piolet.y at gmail.com