[Freeipa-users] Sync IPA and AD while using external CA

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Oct 30 13:47:39 UTC 2015

Please keep responses on the list

mitra dehghan wrote:
> Thank you for your response.
> -First of all in section 15.5.1 of Red hat Enterprise Linux 6 Identity
> Management guide it says to copy both ad and IPA certificates in
> /etc/openldap/certs and i did the same. of course it worked when i was
> using internal CAs.

Ok, it doesn't hurt anything, but for the purposes of ipa-replica-manage
it is a no-op.

> - I pass ad certificate in ipa-replica-manage command via --cacert switch.

Yes but which cert did you provider, the root CA contoso.com or the
subordinate CA local.dc?

> - After all I would be glad if you could give me more info about NSS
> database. Is that kind of substitute for /etc/openldap/certs? would you
> please give me more details about configurations needed for that?

The crypto library that 389-ds uses is NSS. This uses a database to
store certificates and keys rather than discrete files. The certutil
tool is used to manage this file (there is a brief man page).

ipa-replica-manage will add the AD cert to 389-ds for you, but you can
add certs manually and I think it might help in this case:

# certutil -A -d /etc/dirsrc/slapd-YOUR-REALM -n "contoso.com CA" -t
CT,, -a -i /path/to/contoso.pem
# certutil -A -d /etc/dirsrc/slapd-YOUR-REALM -n "local.dc CA" -t CT,,
-a -i /path/to/localdc.pem

The -n option specifies a "nickname" to use for the certificate. You can
use pretty much anything you want but being descriptive helps.

rob