[Freeipa-users] sudo (sssd) hangs due to ipa install/uninstall scripts

Prasun Gera prasun.gera at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:56:08 UTC 2015

So I've again spent a couple of hours debugging a very similar issue.
Client install would seemingly pass, but with "Unable to find 'admin' user
with 'getent passwd admin at domain'!" at the end. And nobody would be able to
authenticate. The reason was that /etc/nsswitch.conf wasn't updated. sss
wasn't added to it.  Wading through his thread
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2015-March/msg00538.html
provided some hints. I have no idea why it did that, but as I have
experienced before, modifying critical system files this way from python
scripts which don't have proper transnactional support is very dangerous. I
suspect that this has something to do with a prior failed install or
uninstall attempt which left it in an inconsistent state. Is it possible to
move from this backup-modify-restore approach to critical files to
something more robust which has transnational guarantees ?