[Freeipa-users] attempting to restore IPA

David Kupka dkupka at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 08:37:35 UTC 2015

Hello Steven!

I would like to help you but unfortunately I have no chance to guess
what went wrong.

To help us help you please report any issue in a way described on
FreeIPA Troubleshooting page (http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting).

Most importantly we need the following:

1. Version of FreeIPA you are using.

2. Precise description of the problem.
Stating that "password does not work" is not specific enough. Does
"kinit admin" fails? With what error message? What is in kdc log? Or
does SSH login fails? Does the login on client using the restored server
work?

3. Steps that you did before the problem occurred.
How was the mentioned backup created? Was the FreeIPA server reinstalled
since the backup was taken? Was any password changed after the backup?
Was any error/warning reported during the restore?

4. Logs.
Please include at least iparestore.log and DS and Kerberos logs.

Maybe some of the information I am missing here can be found in the
thread you are responding to. But since you have changed the subject I
assume you are solving another issue. In that case it makes sense to
start completely new thread and provide all relevant information.
Searching for them in older thread is not only time consuming but also
may confuse us as they could be no longer valid and/or relevant.

Do not take me wrong I am just trying to show you how to ask with bigger
change of solving the issue for you in less time.

Best regards,
David