[Freeipa-users] Logging?

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:14:10 UTC 2015

On 9/11/15 3:25 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 08:05:16AM -0700, Janelle wrote:

>>> Thanks for feedback, I am CCing Peter Schiffer and Jakub Hrozek who were
>>> involved more in the client parts.
>>>
>>> What did you run for configuring the client? ipa-log-config from
>>>
>>> https://github.com/pschiffe/ipa-log-config
>>>
>>> ?
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Yes, I did run the log config tool. It works flawlessly on the IPA servers,
>> but although it claims it sets everything up on clients, I am seeing no
>> actual data, even though, there is data in the logs themselves.. So I am
>> busy trying to debug where rsyslog is missing something. I am more of a
>> syslog-ng  person, so I am having to learn all the bits and pieces of
>> rsyslog, and perhaps I am missing something.
>>
>> To further help -- I have tried 2 methods of a client. One with a client
>> that was "enrolled" via standard ipa-client-install, and another LDAP-only
>> client, still using SSSD but only configured with LDAP settings for Auth.
> I would suggest to debug step by step -- are the sssd debug logs being
> generated? Are they being collected by rsyslog? etc..
Ok. Thank you. I had stated that the logs are indeed being populated
correctly.

I guess it is something with the rsyslog config being set by the tool. I
will try and debug that. The odd thing is, the settings are the same on
the IPA server, and it logs correct, but not on clients. Oh well, back
to the drawing board.

~J