[Freeipa-users] Red Hat 5 and 6 with IPA Client v. 4

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 16 13:43:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015, Andrey Ptashnik wrote:
>Dear IPA Team,
>
>We have a situation in our datacenter where we deployed Red Hat 7.1
>with IPA server 4.1 and on the other hand we still have older machines
>with Red Hat 5 and 6. I noticed that repositories associated with
>version 6 have older version of the client software – v.3.0. Therefore
>some functionality is missing from client package 3 vs 4, like
>automatic update of both forward and reverse DNS records.
>
>Is it possible to install IPA client v. 4 on Red Hat 5 and 6 without
>much breaking dependencies in OS?
You don't need to install IPA python packages on older machines. These
packages are mostly for administration purposes.

Automatic update of forward/reverse DNS zones is done by SSSD. RHEL 6
version of SSSD is on par with RHEL 7 version in the recent updates.
Additionally, MIT Kerberos backports were done in the recent updates to
allow OTP functionality in RHEL6 as well. So most of features are there
already, client-wise.

RHEL5 version does not have such updates and you can implement most of
the support with existing SSSD and output of 'ipa-advise' tool on IPA
masters. nsupdate integration would probably need to be done
differently.

Backporting IPA v4.x client code to RHEL 5 or 6 in general makes not
much sense.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy