[Freeipa-users] V6 and v4

Janelle janellenicole80 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 12:49:51 UTC 2015

On 9/24/15 12:57 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 10:05 PM, Janelle wrote:

>>> Do not disable IPv6 stack on your machines. By disabling IPv6 you are
>>> not doing good. On contrary, many contemporary software projects are
>>> using IPv6-enabled network calls by default because both IPv6 and IPv4
>>> share the same name space on the machine so you only need to listen on a
>>> IPv6 port to accept both IPv4 and IPv6. This is a recommended approach
>>> for networking applications' developers for years already.
>>>
>>> Note that this means only that support for IPv6 stack is enabled in the
>>> kernel. You are not required to go with IPv6 networking addresses, this
>>> is not really needed if you don't want to. But allowing applications to
>>> be IPv6 aware is required.
>>>
>>> FreeIPA has several components which are programmed in such way that
>>> they expect IPv6 stack to be enabled for reasons outlined above. If you
>>> disable IPv6 stack, FreeIPA will partially malfunction and will not
>>> really be in a supported state, especially when we are talking about
>>> trusts to Active Directory (and, in future, IPA to IPA trust).
>>>
>> BTW - I did re-enable IPv6 and was able to "clean ruv" all the "dead" entries,
>> which I had not been able to do before. Thank you for this.
> Hello Janelle,
>
> Thanks for confirmation! I added this knowledge to
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting#Obsolete_RUV_records
>
> as it is definitely not an obvious fix to resolve the RUV issue.
>
> Please feel very welcome to extend Troubleshooting guide if you have other
> advise that could help others speed up their RUV investigation - you have
> definitely a lot of experience with them.
>
> Thanks!
> Martin
Final - Final  confirmation now. I now deleted a replica and re-added.
No "ghost" entries at all. Everything is perfect. Yeah, this was crazy
that it was the fix on all the problems I had for a few months. It
definitely was not an obvious one.  I had wondered if it was DNS at one
point, but every server/master has a /etc/hosts file with all hostnames
and IPs (I never trust DNS).

Thank you for sticking with all my issues and helping with this. This
one was a huge help.  At one point I had 9 of these ghost RUVs that
would not go away. Even if I deleted them off a server, they would
magically re-appear. It was so frustrating.  Having a clean environment
is a wonderful thing. I love IPA!!

I will check the DOCs and if there is anything I can add I will.
~Janelle