[Freeipa-users] DNS Replication Validation

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 15:02:38 UTC 2015

On 09/24/2015 08:53 AM, Martin Basti wrote:

> On 09/24/2015 04:43 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
>> On 09/24/2015 08:32 AM, Aric Wilisch wrote:
>>> I need a way to validate that both the primary and the redundant
>>> FreeIPA server’s DNS zones are in sync. What’s the simplest way for
>>> me to do this?
>>
>> Do a DNS query to confirm that the SOA record for the primary is
>> identical to the SOA for the secondary.
>
> SOA serials are not replicated.

So with IPA you can have a master DNS and a replica DNS that have
different SOA?

Then the records are replicated using the standard IPA dirsrv
replication protocol?

In that case, doesn't ipa-replica-manage have a way to ask if the
replicas are in sync?

> You can get all  records via AXFR, and compare them per zone.
>
> Maybe you can use python-dns to do comparation
>
> http://www.dnspython.org/examples.html

That seems pretty heavyweight if there are a lot records.