[Freeipa-users] What todo when a company/domain name should be changed ?

Matt . yamakasi.014 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 11:34:49 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I'm investigating what the possibillities are when you have a existing
domain/realm and the company name is changed, so the domain should be
also. I came on this idea because of I wanted to know how flexible the
integration is here.

As we use in my opinion a very simple and dumb node setup, we are very
able to move around as we want, but how is this done at other
companies ?

To start with DNS I would setup a new IPA server with the new domain
and forward this domain from te old ipa server and start moving over
servers and create a new hostkey for them. As loadbalancers are in
place in lost of setups this very easy todo witout downtime.

I'm more wondered about how the users and their related groups an be
moved over, or would this be done using migrate-ds or something ? As
the domain changes, so the dc= string too... the reference of the
groups is missing.

I hope someone can make this more clear as I think this is good
knowledge to have upfront anything and any case.

Thanks!

matt