[Freeipa-users] CentOS7: certmonger not enabled by default?

Martin Štefany martin at stefany.eu
Sat Sep 26 15:35:59 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I'd to verify with you if certmonger.service should be enabled by
default after IPA client installation or not. If I remember correctly,
it used to start by on CentOS6, IPA client ~3.0.0, after ipa-client
installation and reboots.

The thing is, for first time usage and subsequent certificate renewal
one needs to start and enable certmonger.service in systemd, right?
Otherwise all ipa-getcert commands just return error about certmonger
not running. I mean, is this desired and default behavior?

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/setting-up-clients.html
actually claims: 'Enable certmonger, retrieve an SSL server certificate,
and install the certificate in /etc/pki/nssdb.' so one or the other is
wrong...

I'm using:

CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)

certmonger-0.75.14-3.el7.x86_64
ipa-client-4.1.0-18.el7.centos.4.x86_64
ipa-python-4.1.0-18.el7.centos.4.x86_64
libipa_hbac-1.12.2-58.el7_1.17.x86_64
libipa_hbac-python-1.12.2-58.el7_1.17.x86_64
python-iniparse-0.4-9.el7.noarch
python-ipaddr-2.1.9-5.el7.noarch
sssd-ipa-1.12.2-58.el7_1.17.x86_64

I've tried to search for this on both CentOS and RHEL BugZilla, and
FreeIPA trac, and Google, but I couldn't find any bug or discussion.
Sorry if this duplicate.

Thank you.

Martin